Sexual violence is any unwanted sexual act or activity, including rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment. Sexual violence also includes sexualised behaviour that is humiliating, intimidating or hostile and may include actions like derogatory name calling, belittling remarks, insults, threats, unwanted personal attention.
Sexual violence can be perpetrated by a stranger or by someone known and even trusted, including a friend, colleague, family member, partner or ex-partner.
Anyone, of any gender or sexual orientation, can be subjected to sexual violence.
Rape and sexual assault
In the UK, rape is legally defined as the penetration with a penis of the vagina, anus or mouth of another person without their consent.
Penetration of another person's vagina, mouth or anus with any part of the body other than the penis or any object without their consent, is classed as sexual assault by penetration. It can carry the same sentences as rape.
Sexual or indecent assault is defined as an act of physical, psychological and emotional violation, in the form of a sexual act, inflicted upon someone without their consent. It can involve forcing or manipulating someone to witness or participate in any sexual acts.
Everyone has the right to say 'no' to sex, to withdraw or withhold their consent for any sexual act, on any occasion and under any circumstances, regardless of whether they've given consent to sex with that person in the past and regardless of whether they're in a relationship with the other person.
What to do if you are affected by any of these issues
- experience serious assault or sexual violence and are hurt or in danger,
- witness a serious assault or sexual violence and the person involved is hurt or in danger,
then you must seek help immediately. If you are on campus then you should report it to the university in the first instance and they will call the emergency services if necessary.
If you are on
- Colchester campus contact the information centre on Square 2, either in person or by calling extension 2222 or 01206 872222
- Southend campus contact University Square Reception either in person or by calling 01702 328400 or 07827 988085
- Loughton campus contact reception during office hours on extension 5983 or 020 8508 5983 or security from 5pm til midnight (Monday to Saturday) on 07825 670709.
If it is a non-emergency then you can report it online and someone will contact you within 3 working days, or you may decide to report an incident anonymously. This means that the incident will be logged for statistical purposes, however we are unable to take any direct action on anonymous reports.